ODA Patching and Upgrade- Primary Note
(Doc ID 2548263.1)
Last updated on APRIL 17, 2023
Applies to:Oracle Database Appliance Software - Version 184.108.40.206 to 220.127.116.11.0 ODAVP [Release 2.1 to 12.2]
Information in this document applies to any platform.
Patching and Upgrades - This Note provides key links to notes and documentation regarding ODA on Patching and Upgrades
- Upgrades to the ODA stack including: FW, OS, Grid Infrastructure (GI), OAK or DCS, Database, ClusterWare, Storage (ACFS, ASM) OCW ...etc
- Updates to the database, or other ODA approved patching as needed based on strict ODA limitations
Tip1: Always start by confirming you current versions used.
See Note 2546497.1 SRDC ODA Required Basic Information: HW Type, Product Version and Platform Type
Tip2: If creating an SR, confirm which HW type, Platform type and version you are using
plus patches (patch numbers, patch in question ...etc)
steps taken (including documentation, note or in-house process)
Deployment See Note 2546497.1 for the initial setup of a new ODA or re-imaging the ODA from one version to another.
What is the difference between an UPGRADE, UPDATE a PATCH and Patching?
- An upgrade is going from one release to a higher release including: ODA (DCS or OAK), Grid Infrastructure; RDBMS / Database; FW, OS, OVM Server ...etc
- An update is going to a higher level within a release: Patchset Bundles are a common source for updates such as 18.104.22.168 to 22.214.171.124 or 18.3 to 18.5.
- A patch can have cascading meanings.
When you are downloading a Patchset Bundle, ISO or other collection of binary fixes, products to install you may find the download referencing a Patch Number.
In various products, there are also individual downloadable patches which fix a very targeted subset or even single fix within a release and / or patchset.
Review references to a patch within the specific context used.
The ODA can often provide a patch for each layer of the stack. Usually this is separated into three types: Server, Storage and Database.
Each of these three bundle patches also contain dozens or hundreds of individual patches which are specifically designed and tested exclusively to the ODA.
- Refer to the documentation for further clarification of patch definitions, steps for application, and other important procedures.
Patching and Upgrades are covered in this note.
Oracle Database Appliance 18.5 Patches
· Minimum Software Version Requirements
· Oracle Database Appliance X7-2S, X7-2M, and X7-2-HA Patches
· Oracle Database Appliance X7-2-HA Virtualized Platform Patches
· Oracle Database Appliance X6-2S, X6-2M, and X6-2L Patches
· Oracle Database Appliance X6-2-HA Patches
· Oracle Database Appliance X5-2/X4-2/X3-2 Patches
For 18.5 and higher (Only)
For single-patch applications, Patch Set Exceptions, or other non-ODA specific patches refer to
Applying Out-of-Cycle Database Patches
For earlier versions (pre-18.5)
ODA Patching FAQ (Doc ID 1546944.1)
Known Issues in each release documentation (links below) by version
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!