ODA Patching and Upgrade- Primary Note
(Doc ID 2548263.1)
Last updated on SEPTEMBER 16, 2021
Applies to:Oracle Database Appliance Software - Version 126.96.36.199 to 188.8.131.52.0 ODAVP [Release 2.1 to 12.2]
Information in this document applies to any platform.
Patching and Upgrades - This Note provides key links to notes and documentation regarding ODA on Patching and Upgrades
- Upgrades to the ODA stack including: FW, OS, Grid Infrastructure (GI), OAK or DCS, Database, ClusterWare, Storage (ACFS, ASM) OCW ...etc
- Updates to the database, or other ODA approved patching as needed based on strict ODA limitations
Tip1: Always start by confirming you current versions used.
See Note 2546497.1 SRDC ODA Required Basic Information: HW Type, Product Version and Platform Type
Tip2: If creating an SR, confirm which HW type, Platform type and version you are using
plus patches (patch numbers, patch in question ...etc)
steps taken (including documentation, note or in-house process)
Deployment See Note 2546497.1 for the initial setup of a new ODA or re-imaging the ODA from one version to another.
What is the difference between an UPGRADE, UPDATE a PATCH and Patching?
- An upgrade is going from one release to a higher release including: ODA (DCS or OAK), Grid Infrastructure; RDBMS / Database; FW, OS, OVM Server ...etc
- An update is going to a higher level within a release: Patchset Bundles are a common source for updates such as 184.108.40.206 to 220.127.116.11 or 18.3 to 18.5.
- A patch can have cascading meanings.
When you are downloading a Patchset Bundle, ISO or other collection of binary fixes, products to install you may find the download referencing a Patch Number.
In various products, there are also individual downloadable patches which fix a very targeted subset or even single fix within a release and / or patchset.
Review references to a patch within the specific context used.
The ODA can often provide a patch for each layer of the stack. Usually this is separated into three types: Server, Storage and Database.
Each of these three bundle patches also contain dozens or hundreds of individual patches which are specifically designed and tested exclusively to the ODA.
- Refer to the documentation for further clarification of patch definitions, steps for application, and other important procedures.
Patching and Upgrades are covered in this note.
For 18.5 and higher (Only)
For single-patch applications, Patch Set Exceptions, or other non-ODA specific patches refer to
For earlier versions (pre-18.5)
ODA Patching FAQ (Doc ID 1546944.1)
Known Issues in each release documentation (links below) by version
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!