Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance: Factory Reset Fails: Cannot Factory Reset an Unconfigured Appliance
(Doc ID 2625344.1)
Last updated on JANUARY 31, 2022
Applies to:Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance Racked System ZS5-2 - Version All Versions to All Versions [Release All Releases]
Oracle ZFS Backup Appliance ZS5-2 - Version All Versions to All Versions [Release All Releases]
Sun ZFS Storage 7420 - Version All Versions to All Versions [Release All Releases]
Sun ZFS Storage 7120 - Version All Versions to All Versions [Release All Releases]
Oracle ZFS Storage ZS3-BA - Version All Versions to All Versions [Release All Releases]
Information in this document applies to any platform.
All ZFS appliances have the ability to Factory Reset. This feature will allow you to remove the existing configuration from the appliance and return it to its original, initial configuration state. Typically, factory resets are performed when
- An appliance is being re-provisioned in a customer environment.
- The appliance has been shipped from oracle to a customer site for installation.
- The appliance has been re-imaged/re-installed. (fishstick)
From the GRUB Menu, the Factory Reset image is selected. From the console, the following error will be seen.
This error will occur no matter how the factory reset is performed.
- In the above example, it failed by selecting the reset image from the GRUB menu
- It will fail if run from the BUI or CLI <STORAGE_NODE> maintenance system factoryreset
- It will also fail if the reset is issued by appending a -c to the console line of the GRUB menu.1st editor
Factory Resets become very important in a clustered environment. You cannot setup a cluster between two nodes unless the node joining the cluster is in a factory reset state. If a cluster setup operation had previously failed against the joining node, it will leave it in this inconsistent state, preventing a subsequent Factory Reset.
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!
In this Document