Oracle Secure Global Desktop 5.6 for Oracle Linux is Now Available
(Doc ID 2718472.1)
Last updated on SEPTEMBER 19, 2023
Applies to:Oracle Secure Global Desktop - Version 5.6 to 5.6 [Release 5.0]
Information in this document applies to any platform.
We are pleased to announce the 5.6 release of Oracle's Secure Global Desktop, for Oracle Linux 7, 64-bit only.
This product update offers better performance, increased support for non-interactive installation/configuration and a completely re-written HTML5 client.
Oracle Secure Global Desktop
Oracle Secure Global Desktop (SGD) is a web-based solution that allows users to remotely access data and applications in a data center or the cloud. It provides administrators with a single pane of glass to manage secure access to resources with a completely air-gapped, highly secure connection between the client and the data and applications accessed, allowing complete control of which user can access which application and the server it runs on, all through a convenient web interface.
Highlights of this Release
- HTML5 Client Improvements – The new HTML5 client has been completely rewritten with Oracle JET components. It provides improved performance, supports the automatic detection of international keyboards and provides simplified and redesigned user interface.
- Enhanced Graphics Performance for Applications – Improved display performance for desktops and lower bandwidth usage can be provided by enabling a new application object attribute.
- Improvements for Client Drive Mapping – A new implementation of UNIX CDM, based on Filesystem in Userspace (FUSE) technology is introduced. The new implementation is more secure and provides improved file transfer performance and reliability.
- Automatic Configuration of Gateway Deployments – Configuring an SGD Gateway deployment automatically has been introduced. It provides a quicker method of configuring Gateway deployments, without the need for manual tasks such as copying and installing security certificates.
- Easy update using yum – Upgrading from SGD 5.5 takes advantage of yum update.
Important Changes in this Release
SGD Client Platform
- 32-bit versions of the SGD Client are not available in this release.
- Packages for Solaris client platforms are not available in this release.
- Internet Explorer is no longer supported as a browser on Windows client platforms. Microsoft Edge browser can be used as an alternative.
- Tablet devices, such as iPad and Android devices, are not supported by the new HTML5 Client.
- The new HTML5 Client is not installed with the oracle-sgd-server package. It is supplied as the oracle-sgd-webclient package and must be installed on the SGD host.
Additional Details regarding the new HTML5 Client may be found within Section 1.1.3 of the Release Notes.
Bundled Third Party Components
- SGD 5.6 requires Java 11 to be available on the SGD host.
Additional details regarding Java support may be found within Section 1.2.7 of the Release Notes.
- The SGD Web Server components have been updated. The following component versions are installed with 5.6.
Component Name Version Apache HTTP Server 2.4.41 Apache Tomcat 9.0.37
Additional Details regarding Third Party Components for SGD may be found within Section 2.1.4 of the Release Notes.
The substantial new developments described above extend many significant feature and functional updates that were introduced within this release and built-upon the legacy of earlier releases. Customers are strongly advised to review the product documentation published with this release for additional information regarding the product.
An Index to key areas of interest within this library is offered as a courtesy, below:
||New Features, Changes|
|Installation Guide||Preparing to Install|
|Installing the Core Component|
|Optional SGD Packages|
Release Announcement Reference
Additional details regarding future updates to this release, as well as an index of all published updates for any version of Secure Global Desktop may be found within SGD's Release Announcement Reference, published:
- (Doc ID 2093579.2) - Oracle Secure Global Desktop, Release Announcement Reference
Identify a Preferred Source to Provision SGD 5.6
Designed for the Cloud and supported on customer-hosted, "on premises" deployments, Secure Global Desktop 5.6 software is available from multiple depots. Customers are encouraged to access the product's installation packages from the most appropriate resource for their application.
Specific details on the following may be found below:
- The OCI Marketplace
- Streamlined for deployments within Oracle Cloud Infrastructure.
- Oracle Software Delivery Cloud
- The traditional Oracle software repository.
- Preferred source for installation media for air-gapped, and on-premesis deployments.
For deployments within OCI, SGD Administrators may find Secure Global Desktop 5.6 published within the Oracle Cloud Marketplace. The Marketplace will allow the SGD Administrator to deploy the images quickly within the OCI console, (or), launch a demo of the update by clicking the Launch Demo button.
- Sign into the Oracle Software Delivery Cloud site and select 'All Categories' on the left side.
- In the box on the right type in "Secure Global Desktop" and it will provide different product name selections. Select "Oracle Secure Global Desktop for Microsoft Windows, AS/400, Solaris, Unix, and Mainframe".
- Then select "Oracle Secure Global Desktop 220.127.116.11.0.". It will say "Added to Download Queue."
- Click on "Continue" in the upper right. Your Download Queue appears. Secure Global Desktop 5.6 runs on Linux 7 only. The Platform is already selected.
- Click on either "Continue" button, above or below the table displaying the Download Queue."
- Oracle Standard Terms and Restriction is presented. When ready, check the box stating, "I reviewed and accept the Oracle License Agreement." The click on the "Continue" button which had been greyed out.
- A link to download V1003406-01.tar appears at the bottom of the table. Click on that link to download Secure Global Desktop 5.6!"
|Oracle Linux x86, 64 bit||V1003406-01|
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!
In this Document
|Oracle Secure Global Desktop|
|Highlights of this Release|
|Important Changes in this Release|
|SGD Client Platform|
|Bundled Third Party Components|
|Release Announcement Reference|
|Identify a Preferred Source to Provision SGD 5.6|
|The OCI Marketplace|
|Oracle Software Delivery Cloud|