Extended Analytics Setup, General Information and Troubleshooting Ideas
(Doc ID 1073295.1)
Last updated on APRIL 09, 2023
Applies to:Hyperion Financial Management - Version 220.127.116.11.00 to 18.104.22.168.00 [Release 9.3 to 11.1]
Information in this document applies to any platform.
This document provides some general information regarding Hyperion Financial Management (HFM) Extended Analytics module for versions 9.3.1 through 22.214.171.124. Applicable notes and screenshots will be provided if there are any differences between the two releases. It will also provide a list of items that you can check if you encounter any issues when using Extended Analytics.
Extended Analytics (EA) allows you to export HFM data and metadata into a relational database in a star schema format. A data source name (DSN) is used to specify the relational database destination that will be used to export the data using EA. The DSN is created in the Configuration Utility. When setting up the DSN, please be advised that you should not use the same relational database and UDL file for Extended Analytics that you use for your Financial Management applications. They should be kept separate. To store star schemas in multiple databases you can create a DSN for each database. Different formats and schemas are used to export the data. The schema tables begin with a prefix that you specify.
Extended Analytics gives you more flexibility with data extracts because it allows you to extract data for any Value dimension member, export data for parent accounts, and select any custom members to be included in the extract. Based on the POV that you select, these extracts are then exported into the relational database where reports and queries can be run to review the information.
Extended Analytics is accessed from HFM web via Administration>Extended Analytics. The default page of EA contains the following information:
- Schema Options - create, update or delete. Please refer to details below.
- Templates - can be created that will save the export settings
- Point of View - this is where you select the dimension members that will be exported
- Destination Database (DSN) - this is the relational database name where data will be exported
- Relational Table Prefix - you name the prefix and EA will create tables based on this label
- Extract Format - standard, essbase, metadata, etc. Please refer to details below.
- Option to Exclude Dynamic Accounts - you determine if you want this box checked
There are 3 schema options that you can select when exporting the data:
- Create Star Schema - this option will create a new schema for you in the target database. If tables with the same prefix already exist in the target database, they are replaced.
- Update Star Schema - if you already created and predefined a star schema, you can use this option to update it. Please note that when you update a star schema, the system appends data in the Fact table. The dimension tables are not modified.
- Delete Star Schema - this option deletes all of the star schema data, metadata, and tables.
There are different types of Star Schema Formats:
- Metadata Only
- Selected Metadata Only
- Data Warehouse
- Flat file - (Note: Starting in version 11, you can now use a Flat file format; which allows you to extract to a flat file when creating and exporting data to a star schema.)
For each schema format, the system creates a <PREFIX>_FACT table that contains keys to the 13 dimension tables and one data field. The system also creates <PREFIX>_DIMENSION tables, an HFM_EA_EXTRACT table to track extract timestamps for metadata, and a <PREFIX>_LOCK_ACCESS table to track writer and reader locks. Depending on the schema you selected, some or all of the tables may not always be updated.
Please refer to the HFM Admin guide regarding detailed instructions on setting up and using Extended Analytics. The chapter is called, "Using Extended Analytics." The links for 931 and 11 are located below:
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!
In this Document