Avoiding Performance Issues in WebCenter Portal With Content Presenter By Configuring Coherence and Installing Recommended Patches
Last updated on APRIL 12, 2018
Applies to:Oracle WebCenter Portal - Version 220.127.116.11.0 and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
When attempting to displaying content using Content Presenter the application takes a long time.
There are no errors reported, it just takes a lot of time to display the Content Presenter.
Some of the symptoms are:
- The performance issue happens when connecting to a Content Repository that has many Region Definitions, Static Lists or Content Profiles.
- In some cases the performance issues can lead to STUCK threads or java.lang.OutOfMemoryError (OOM) errors in the managed server.
- Connecting to a Content Repository with less Region Definitions, Static List of Content Profiles works fine.
- The issue can happen displaying any content with Content Presenter.
- The issue can be also reproduced with a Custom WebCenter Portal Application or WebCenter Portal (Spaces).
- Enabling System Audit in UCM log shows there is a VCR_GET_CONTENT_TYPE call for each UCM Region Definition, UCM Static List or UCM Profile.
The issue can be reproduced at will with the following steps (note it can also be reproduced with Spaces):
- Create some Region Definitions, Static Lists or Content Profiles in Content Server.
The more you have will affect more the WebCenter Portal performance.
- Add a Content Presenter.
- Restart the WebCenter Portal or Custom Portal managed server.
- Enable System Audit Logging in UCM.
UCM -> Administration -> System Audit Information
Under "Tracing Sections Information" set the following and click Update:
Full Verbose Tracing – Checked
Active Sections: system, requestaudit
Event Trap Text: Exception
- Navigate to the UCM System Audit Log.
UCM -> Administration -> System Audit Information -> View Server Output
Click "Clear" to clean all the UCM messages.
- Access the Content Presenter.
Here you can experience performance issues.
Sometimes it is not clear where the performance issues are but if you access pages that have no content presenter you can see those pages display faster than pages with content presenter.
- Refresh the UCM System Audit Log.
You should see multiple VCR_GET_CONTENT_TYPE calls for each UCM Region Definition, UCM Static List or UCM Profile.
Sign In with your My Oracle Support account
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started
My Oracle Support provides customers with access to over a
Million Knowledge Articles and hundreds of Community platforms