Oracle VM Templates for Oracle Database - Single Instance, Oracle Restart (SIHA) and Oracle RAC
(Doc ID 1185244.1)
Last updated on JUNE 29, 2019
Applies to:Oracle Database Exadata Express Cloud Service - Version N/A and later
Oracle Database Cloud Schema Service - Version N/A and later
Oracle Database Backup Service - Version N/A and later
Oracle Cloud Infrastructure - Version N/A and later
Oracle Database Cloud Service - Version N/A and later
This document will provide information about the latest Oracle VM Templates for Oracle Database.
Read about Virtrualization and Oracle VM.
Read about Oracle Clusterware.
Read about Oracle Real Application Clusters.
Read the Oracle RAC on Oracle VM Whitepaper.
The Oracle VM Templates for Oracle Database provides a framework that fully automates the creation of a Single Instance, Oracle Restart (Single Instance/HA) or Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) configurations in an Oracle VM environment. In a matter of minutes the versatile and powerful Oracle VM Templates for Oracle Database can be cloned into any number of VMs which could be deployed as a Single Instance, Oracle Restart (Single Instance/HA) or Oracle RAC of any number of nodes.
Detailed steps for installation and usage are in the PDF documents available in the templates archives and the OTN Home Page.
Using Oracle VM Templates for Oracle Database is useful for a wide variety of audience like System admins, DBAs, application developers, beginners and advanced users. The templates are:
- 100% debugged and polished! Not some 'reference' template.
- 100% self-contained, no need to glue together an OS with scripts, Oracle software, etc.
- Same template is used for production or testing
- All templates offer a simple 2-node interview
- All versions of the templates are fully supported on Oracle VM 3.x and Oracle VM 2.x subject to product support (e.g. RAC, etc.)
- Latest RUs/PSUs/patches included and other recommended fixes
- It is possible to customize the installed patches using opatch pre/post deployment
- No install/build failures, always works!
CLOUD NEWS: In May 2019 these templates made a transition to the Oracle Cloud! it is now possible to deploy a Single Instance (or Oracle Restart) Oracle Database on the OCI Marketplace using a similar framework presented in these templates for a decade! Enjoy a smooth transition to the Oracle Cloud and amaze everyone with a fully deployed Oracle Database in only a few clicks and a few minutes!
NEW in 2019 Templates:
- Oracle Linux 7.6 UEK Release 5 Update 2 (UEK R5U2): 188.8.131.52.0, 184.108.40.206.190416 and 220.127.116.11.190416 Templates Released!
- Oracle Linux 6.10 UEK4: 18.104.22.168.190416 Templates Released!
NEW in 2018 Templates:
- 22.214.171.124.181016 (Oracle Linux 7.5 UEK5), 126.96.36.199.181016 (Oracle Linux 7.5 UEK5), 188.8.131.52.181016 (Oracle Linux 6.10 UEK4) Templates released
- 184.108.40.206.180417, 220.127.116.11.180417, 18.104.22.168.0.180417 Templates released
- Latest Oracle Linux 7 Update 5 & Oracle Linux 6 Update 9 with UEK4 QU7 includes latest fixes (Spectre/Meltdown).
NEW in 2017 Templates:
- 22.214.171.124.0 & 126.96.36.199.170814 (RU1) Templates released (ASM on NAS support, same template supports EE & SE)
- Latest Oracle Linux 7 Update 4 & Oracle Linux 6 Update 9 both with UEK4 Update 5 and latest Oracle Database/Grid Infrastructure PSUs
NEW in 2016 Templates:
- Latest Kernel UEK4 (4.1.12) enabled by default
- SSH key setup supports rsa, dsa, ecdsa or ed25519
NEW in 2015 Templates:
- Release both Enterprise Edition and Standard Edition 2 template
- Deploycluster support for Oracle VM 3.3/3.4 and higher, released October 2015.
- Yum@Deploy support(11gR2 & 12c) - Allows running yum install/update during first boot/deployment and subsequent re-builds.
- Bundled Swingbench upgraded to 188.8.131.521
- Multi-Diskgroup support for Oracle ASM
- Support for multiplexed Controlfile & REDO logfiles
- Default kernel boot is Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel (UEK3) 3.8.13-118, default boot in HVM mode
- Oracle Linux 7, BTRFS & KSplice Ready!
NEW in 2013 Templates:
- Automation support for 12c features:
- Oracle Flex Cluster and/or Flex ASM (including automation of add/remove N-number of Hub/Leaf nodes)
- Creation/deletion of Container Database with optional N-number of Pluggable Databases
- DB Express configuration for database
- Support for a dedicated ASM Network Interface
- Database creation inside an ACFS Filesystem
- Automation support for Single Instance & Oracle Restart (Formerly known as Single Instance/HA)
- Automation support for databases on local & shared filesystems
- Automation support for Admin Managed or Policy Manageddatabase creation
- Including basic Server Pool creation (for Policy Managed)
- OS disk comes with the OSRevert utility: making switching rpm footprints easier
- Default kernel boot is Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel (UEK2) 2.6.39-400, seamless transition to HVM mode
- Deploycluster tool provides fully automated end-to-end Single Instance and Oracle Real Application Clusters deployments on Oracle VM 3.2 and below
All of the 11.2/12.1 templates further allow:
- Building N-node clusters, not just 2 or 4 nodes
- Mix and match OS (Oracle Linux 7, Oracle Linux 6 or Oracle Linux 5) and Oracle disks
- Support role separation or non-role separation installation
- The install can run as root or grid/oracle (with sudo configured on one node only)
- Supports RAC One Node, see <Note:1232802.1> and FAQs in PDF
- Fully automated network & disk setup, including directly from Dom0 (automated dom0 build)
- Fully automated add/remove N-nodes or instances
- Fully automated ACFS FS creation/removal
- Fully automated EM dbconsole creation/removal
- Allow running in non-English Guest VMs (German, Italian, etc.)
Basic understanding of Linux, OVM and Oracle Database and Oracle RAC is expected.
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!
In this Document
|CLOUD NEWS: In May 2019 these templates made a transition to the Oracle Cloud! it is now possible to deploy a Single Instance (or Oracle Restart) Oracle Database on the OCI Marketplace using a similar framework presented in these templates for a decade! Enjoy a smooth transition to the Oracle Cloud and amaze everyone with a fully deployed Oracle Database in only a few clicks and a few minutes!|