Heavy Paging Causes Slow Database Performance
(Doc ID 1195174.1)
Last updated on NOVEMBER 01, 2019
Applies to:Oracle Database - Enterprise Edition - Version 10.2.0.1 and later
Oracle Database Cloud Schema Service - Version N/A and later
Oracle Database Exadata Cloud Machine - Version N/A and later
Oracle Cloud Infrastructure - Database Service - Version N/A and later
Oracle Database Exadata Express Cloud Service - Version N/A and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
- Heavy paging experienced in the system - vmstat and top command output shows the heavy paging
- System running slowly due to paging
- Shutting down the database reduces the paging
- Executing high load jobs may exacerbate the paging problem
- Paging of computational memory at the O/S level is unrestricted
A database upgrade may have occurred although this is not necessarily a direct cause; if the operating system does nor restrict paging of computational memory then this problem could be initiated by a change in workload and not necessarily an upgrade (although the paging of memory of file system I/O options may be different from release to release).
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!
In this Document