Last updated on APRIL 24, 2017
Applies to:Oracle Database - Standard Edition - Version 220.127.116.11 and later
Oracle Database - Enterprise Edition - Version 18.104.22.168 and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
IBM: Linux on System z
Checked for relevance on 07-Jan-2016
After upgrading database from 22.214.171.124 to 11.2.03, where all post-upgrade checks have worked, the offline backups through RMAN fail at database startup
Two 126.96.36.199 instances are on the same server using an ORACLE_HOME of /opt/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1.
Assume the instances are called jhtest1 and jhorcl1.
There is one 188.8.131.52 listener for both instances/databases runing from the above ORACLE_HOME.
After applying 184.108.40.206 patch, instance jhtest1 was configured to use the 220.127.116.11 ORACLE_HOME /opt/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_2. All the config files for jhtest1 were copied from dbhome_1 to dbhome_2
DB-Control for JHTEST1 (18.104.22.168) is running ok, although it doesn't monitor the listener as this is still running off dbhome_1.
DB-Control for JHORCL1 (22.214.171.124) is running ok, and it does monitor the listener as this is still running off dbhome_1.
When performing an offline RMAN backup for jhtest1, the following sequence of events occur:
- The database is shutdown successfully by the rman script, but fails on startup.
- The rman log has the RMAN-04014 startup failed ORA-03113 end-of file on communications channel.
- The alert.log has no error messages for startup, the startup has begun but after a few lines there is nothing further in the alert.log.
- Shutdown abort for jhtest1 11203 database completes successfully
- Startup for jhtest1 then completes successfully, and the instance operates normally.
An upgrade to 126.96.36.199 has taken place.
Sign In with your My Oracle Support account
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started
Million Knowledge Articles and hundreds of Community platforms