RMAN-04014 Startup Failed ORA03113
(Doc ID 1546836.1)
Last updated on AUGUST 04, 2018
Applies to:Oracle Database - Standard Edition - Version 126.96.36.199 and later
Oracle Database - Enterprise Edition - Version 188.8.131.52 and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
IBM: Linux on System z
Checked for relevance on 07-Jan-2016
After upgrading database from 184.108.40.206 to 11.2.03, where all post-upgrade checks have worked, the offline backups through RMAN fail at database startup
Two 220.127.116.11 instances are on the same server using an ORACLE_HOME of /opt/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1.
Assume the instances are called jhtest1 and jhorcl1.
There is one 18.104.22.168 listener for both instances/databases runing from the above ORACLE_HOME.
After applying 22.214.171.124 patch, instance jhtest1 was configured to use the 126.96.36.199 ORACLE_HOME /opt/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_2. All the config files for jhtest1 were copied from dbhome_1 to dbhome_2
DB-Control for JHTEST1 (188.8.131.52) is running ok, although it doesn't monitor the listener as this is still running off dbhome_1.
DB-Control for JHORCL1 (184.108.40.206) is running ok, and it does monitor the listener as this is still running off dbhome_1.
When performing an offline RMAN backup for jhtest1, the following sequence of events occur:
- The database is shutdown successfully by the rman script, but fails on startup.
- The rman log has the RMAN-04014 startup failed ORA-03113 end-of file on communications channel.
- The alert.log has no error messages for startup, the startup has begun but after a few lines there is nothing further in the alert.log.
- Shutdown abort for jhtest1 11203 database completes successfully
- Startup for jhtest1 then completes successfully, and the instance operates normally.
An upgrade to 220.127.116.11 has taken place.
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!