Oracle Big Data Appliance Base Image Version 4.10.0 for New Installations or Reprovisioning Existing Installations on Oracle Linux 6
(Doc ID 2364648.1)
Last updated on MARCH 02, 2020
Applies to:Big Data Appliance Integrated Software - Version 4.10.0 and later
This document provides details for re-imaging the Oracle Big Data Appliance Base Image to version 4.10.0. The document describes the steps on how to re-image a single server or an entire Oracle Big Data Appliance or a cluster of BDA servers.
The information in this note is intended to be used by field support or system administrators when re-imaging an Oracle Big Data Appliance on-site with the BDA v4.10.0 OL6 base image. The BDA v4.10.0 OL6 base image is now available in Patch 27441633.
The reimaging steps have not changed from previous images, but new makebdaimage syntax is available to work with clusters using rack-network.json and cluster-network.json.
The 4.10.0 base image patch supports all released BDA hardware generations including BDA X7 servers.
Because the BDA Base Image v4.10.0 is the first to support X7 servers, clusters will need to be updated to at least BDA v4.10.0 before X7 or X8 servers can be added to the cluster.
New BDAs shipping from the factory have a base image of 4.10.0. But that base image may not be as recent that the 4.10.0 base image provided in Patch 27441633.
The 4.10.0 base image version provided in Patch 27441633 contains several fixes over earlier versions of the v4.10.0 base image shipped on BDA X7 servers including fixes for network configuration and support for unencrypted drives shipping to Russia.
Therefore when new BDAs ship from the factory:
1. If the shipped BDAs have a base image older than v4.10.0-1 then reimage to the 4.10.0 base image in Patch 27441633 as per the instructions in this note.
2. If the shipped BDAs have a base image of v4.10.0 but the v4.10.0 is less than that in Patch 27441633 which is v4.10.0-12 then instead of a full reimage with Patch 27441633 apply the patch in 27441706.
In more detail, when BDA servers arrive at the data center with a v4.10.0 base image less than v4.10.0-12 instead of a full reimage, apply the smaller bda rpm patch to update the base image to v4.10.0-12. This will pick up all the latest base image fixes. The bda rpm patch is in Patch 27441706. Patch 27441706 cannot be used for reimaging, only for updating installed v4.10.0-x base images older than v4.10.0-12.
To install Patch 27441706 follow the instructions in the README or follow the section the MOS note: How to Download and Install a BDA RPM Patch and Rollback Back to the Original BDA RPM(Doc ID 2379782.1).
3. If the shipped BDAs have the same base image as that in Patch 27441633, v4.10.0-12 no reimage is required.
Note: you can verify the bda rpm with "rpm -q bda". Output as below indicates the 4.10.0-7 bda rpm.
b) If the ILOM firmware version is not at least 126.96.36.199, install the bda-4.10.0-12 Oracle Linux 6 bda rpm from the patch below and then update the ILOM firmware using "bdaupdatefw -i"
3. The reimaging steps have not changed from previous images, but new makebdaimage syntax is available to work with clusters using rack-network.json and cluster-network.json.
4. This version contains several fixes over earlier v4.10.0 base images for network configuration and support for newer ILOM firmware. For example 4.10.0-12 contains:
- Fixes for reimaging.
- Fixes for OS migration to OL7 - supported on BDA v4.13.0, v4.14.0 and v5.1.0.
- Support for BDA X8 servers.
Also included from previous releases are:
- Fixes for bdachecksw to add some disk partition layouts.
- Support for automated replacement of OS and data disks using the bdaconfiguredisk tool.
- Improved support for migrating BDA v4.13.0 & v4.14.0 Oracle Linux 6 clusters to Oracle Linux 7 (still on the same BDA version).
5. The latest bda rpm patch is 4.10.0-12. It can and should be applied in the field to X7 servers before starting the network configuration. The patch includes bda rpms for both Oracle Linux 6 and Oracle Linux 7 and the appropriate one should be used. The latest available BDA-4.10-0 OL6 and OL7 rpms for updating older base images is available in patch 27441706.
The latest BDA v4.10.0 base image is released as patch 27441633. This is the full base image used for reimaging servers in the field and at the factory currently. The steps to apply Patch 27441633 are provided in this MOS note. They should be used for new installs where the installed base image is older than BDA v4.10.0 or for reprovisioning existing installations where it is desired to wipe the existing cluster to install a new one.
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!
In this Document
|Important Details on the Latest Base Image on OL6|
|Instructions for Re-Imaging a Single BDA Server|
|Instructions for Re-Imaging an Entire Big Data Appliance|
|Instructions for Re-Imaging a Cluster of BDA servers|