M8-8 / M7-8 / M7-16 - How to Replace a Faulty PCIe Card
Last updated on OCTOBER 04, 2017
Applies to:SPARC M7-16 - Version All Versions and later
Oracle SuperCluster M7 Hardware - Version All Versions and later
SPARC M7-8 - Version All Versions and later
SPARC M8-8 - Version All Versions and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
CAP PROBLEM OVERVIEW: M8-8 / M7-8 / M7-16 - How to Replace a Faulty PCIe card
To report errors or request improvements on this procedure, please go to My Oracle Support, and put a comment on Doc ID: 2032465.1
- Circuit boards and drives contain electronic components that are extremely sensitive to static electricity. Ordinary amounts of static electricity from clothing or the work environment can destroy the components located on these boards. Do not touch the components along their connector edges.
- Use a Antistatic Wrist strap. Attach one end of the strap to your wrist and the other end to the chassis, depending on what type of strap you use, with the adhesive end or the metal plug.
- Use an Antistatic Mat. Place ESD-sensitive components such as motherboards, memory, and other PCBs on an antistatic mat.
- Dust particles of packaging material are number one cause of datacenter contamination. Make sure to remove all packaging material, up to the ESD safe packaging material, while still being outside the datacenter.
- Oracle SuperCluster M7 Hardware does not support PCIe card hot replacement (aka hotplug). The Physical Domain (PDom) which owns the PCIe slot must be shutdown to replace the PCIe card.
- When replacing Infiniband HCA in Oracle SuperCluster M7, additional Field Engineering responsibilities must be completed. Perform the steps in the following document: How to Replace Infiniband Card in Oracle SuperCluster Compute / DB nodes (Doc ID 2044499.1)
Sign In with your My Oracle Support account
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started
Million Knowledge Articles and hundreds of Community platforms