Oracle Exalytics Release 126.96.36.199 Now Available for Oracle Exalytics X Series Servers
(Doc ID 2165290.1)
Last updated on FEBRUARY 28, 2022
Applies to:Oracle Exalytics Software - Version 188.8.131.52.0 and later
Exalytics In-Memory Machine X3-4 - Version All Versions and later
Exalytics In-Memory Machine X2-4 - Version All Versions and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
Also applicable to Exalytics X4-4 and X5-4 systems.
Oracle Exalytics Release 184.108.40.206 is now available. This is a cumulative patchset (PS) that may be applied on all Exalytics 'X' series servers (i.e. X2-4/X3-4, X4-4 and X5-4 models only). Exalytics release 220.127.116.11 may be installed during new machine delivery and setup, or on existing Exalytics servers that have been upgraded to PS5 (image version 18.104.22.168.0). It is not applicable to Exalytics T5-8 systems.
Release 22.214.171.124 includes the latest features and firmware, security and configuration utility updates and a number of bug fixes. Release 126.96.36.199 updates the Exalytics image version to 188.8.131.52.el5 or 184.108.40.206.el6. There are two possible Linux kernel upgrade paths (base image 220.127.116.11.el5 or 18.104.22.168.el6). These upgrade options vary depending upon whether the machine is a new or existing bare metal server and whether it is a new or existing Exalytics OVM server.
- Existing bare metal servers
- Must have PS 5 installed. Then upgrade to Oracle Exalytics X2-4/ X3-4/X4-4 Base Image 22.214.171.124.el5 for Linux x86-64, Part number V76310-01. This will upgrade the Linux kernel to 5.11, Kernel: EL5 - 2.6.39-400.248.3.el5uek.x86_64.
- May only be upgraded to Linux 6 if the machine is completely re-imaged. Re-imaging the machine will remove all operating system and applications software and configuration. If this option is selected, it is suggested that you backup application files (i.e. OBIEE RPD file and customizations) and key configuration files before re-imaging. Applications will need to be reinstalled after re-image is complete.
- New bare metal servers may install Base Image Version 126.96.36.199.el6: Release 2, EL6 Base Image for Linux 6 Kernel: EL6 - 2.6.39-400.248.3.el6uek.x86_64.
- Existing OVM servers may be upgraded from current OVM to Oracle VM Server 3.2.9 Base Image (188.8.131.52.0.ovs-3.2.9). This will upgrade the Exalytics OVM server to Kernel: 2.6.39-400.215.9.el5uek x86_64. OVM guest and template are upgraded separately via a patch to Oracle VM Guest Template EL5(184.108.40.206.0.el5) and Kernel: EL5 - 2.6.39-400.248.3.el5uek.x86_64.
- New OVM servers may install Oracle VM Server 3.2.9 Base Image (220.127.116.11.0.ovs-3.2.9), Kernel: 2.6.39-400.215.9.el5uek x86_64. OVM guest and template are installed separately and either Oracle VM Guest Template EL5(18.104.22.168.0.el5), Kernel: EL5 - 2.6.39-400.248.3.el5uek.x86_64 ~ or ~ Oracle VM Guest Template EL6 (22.214.171.124.0.el6), Kernel: EL6 - 2.6.39-400.248.3.el6uek.x86_64 may be installed.
- X5-4 Servers: OVM Manager and OVM Server 3.3.3 must be installed to provide support for the nvme flash cards. See notes below -> under Actions, Step 3.
Full version details for certified combinations are in the Exalytics Release 126.96.36.199 certification matrix.
Exalytics Release 188.8.131.52 also includes several new features as described in "New Features in Oracle Exalytics Release 2 (184.108.40.206)" in the Exalytics Installation and Administration Guide.
New Feature Highlights
- New Base Images, including Linux 5 and Linux 6 as described above
- Release 2 Upgrade Utility: Existing customers on Release 1 Patchset 5 (Base Image 220.127.116.11) can use the utility to upgrade to Release 2 (Base Image Version 18.104.22.168.el5 or 22.214.171.124.el6).
- Exalytics Hardening script for increased security to comply with the Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIGs) standards. See Chapter 9, "Hardening an Exalytics Machine."
NOTE: STIG hardening is only available on Exalytics bare metal machines and is currently not certified for use with OVM.
- New feature to install Oracle 12c Database In Memory with the Exalytics Domain Management Utility (DOMU).
- Option to install OBIEE 126.96.36.199 or 188.8.131.52 with the DOMU.
- New certification for Oracle Big Data Discovery (BDD) with Base Image 184.108.40.206.0.el6 (Oracle Enterprise Linux 6 only)
When fully installed, Exalytics Release 220.127.116.11, upgrades the Exalytics server to version 18.104.22.168 and upgrades the core application product stack to:
- Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition (OBIEE) 22.214.171.124.1+ (Patch 126.96.36.199.150714 recommended) or OBIEE 188.8.131.52+ (Patch 184.108.40.206.1 recommended)
- Oracle TimesTen (TT) 220.127.116.11+
Optional application software includes:
- Oracle BI Applications 18.104.22.168.1 or 22.214.171.124.1
- Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) 126.96.36.199+
- Oracle Endeca Information Discovery (3.0 and 3.1) and Oracle Endeca Server (7.5.1 and 7.6.0) - PS 1 and later
- Oracle Essbase 188.8.131.52.101 (optional component with PS1 and PS2), EPM 184.108.40.206+ (PS5 and later).
- Oracle Database In-Memory DBIM 220.127.116.11.X
Full certification information for versions, or products, not listed above is available in <Note 1505616.2> Information Center: Certification Information For Oracle Exalytics.
Step 1 - Review Documentation
Exalytics Release 18.104.22.168 includes software updates and patches which are described below.
Please note that different installation steps are required for non-virtualized (bare metal) Exalytics servers and virtualized (OVM) Exalytics servers. Release 22.214.171.124 also includes the different upgrade scenarios described above. Thoroughly read and understand the upgrade options before proceeding with upgrade on your server(s).
See the following sections as appropriate to your environment:
Review of the Exalytics In-Memory Machine for Linux Release Notes, Exalytics X2-4, X3-4, and X4-4 Release 2 (2.0), E62966-01 for known issues, workarounds and document errata is also recommended.
Step 2 - Download software updates and patches.
Your upgrade to Exalytics Release 126.96.36.199 will include software components available on Oracle Software Delivery Cloud and patches available on My Oracle Support (MOS).
A. Software updates available on Oracle Software Delivery Cloud:
1. Exalytics software may be located by changing the search filters to Search By: Release and then enter text "Oracle Exalytics Software 188.8.131.52.0." Select "Release:Oracle Exalytics Software 184.108.40.206.0" as shown below:
2. The release includes the following files:
Bare Metal Software
a. If upgrading existing PS5 server to Linux 5.11, download Oracle Exalytics Release 2 Base Image 220.127.116.11.el5 for Linux x86-64, Part #V76310-01 (used to upgrade the image file from PS5 to Release 18.104.22.168.el5). You do not need to download the OVM updates if you are upgrading an existing "bare metal" Exalytics server.
NOTE: Always back up /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts before doing any in-place upgrade.
b. If installing software on new bare metal server or opting to re-image an existing bare metal server, download Oracle Exalytics Release 2 Base Image 22.214.171.124.el6 for Linux x86-64, Part #V76311-01.
NOTE: If re-imaging an existing bare metal server, ensure you have backed up key configuration files since re-image will completely remove all applications and operating system configurations. See Install guide for recommended backups.
(1) If you are upgrading an existing OVM PS5 server to Release 126.96.36.199.0, download Oracle Exalytics Base Image 188.8.131.52.0 for Exalytics Oracle VM x86-64, Part #V76307-01.zip.
(2) If you setting up a new OVM server, or re-imaging an existing server, select the Oracle VM image and desired VM template (i.e. 184.108.40.206.0.el5 or 220.127.116.11.0.el6):
V76307-01.zip Oracle Exalytics Base Image 18.104.22.168.0 for Exalytics Oracle VM x86-64
V76308-01.zip Oracle Exalytics Base Image 22.214.171.124.0.el5 for Exalytics Oracle VM x86-64
V76309-01.zip Oracle Exalytics Base Image 126.96.36.199.0.el6 for Exalytics Oracle VM x86-64
(3) If using OVM on Exalytics, the OVM Manager software must be installed on a separate physical server. You must use OVM Manager 3.2.9 for X2-4, X3-4 and X4-4 servers. OVM Manager 3.3.3 may be used for X5-4 Servers only. The OVM Manager software is also available on Oracle Software Delivery Cloud and can be located by searching with Product "Oracle VM Server" & Platform "x86 64 bit." Select VM Server 3.2.9 or 3.3.3 as applicable for your specific server type.
4. Full release versions of the application level software (TimesTen 188.8.131.52 or OBIEE 184.108.40.206/220.127.116.11 etc.) is available on Oracle Software Delivery Cloud and can be found via a search on the product name or release. For example, if OBIEE software is needed, search with filter of Release "Oracle Business Intelligence" and "Linux x86-64" platform. Then select desired release.
5. Optional software may be downloaded as desired by using similar search methods (i.e. Endeca, Database In-Memory, EPM). For example, if you need to download Oracle In-Memory Database (IMDB) for Exalytics, search by Release and use Search terms "Oracle In-Memory Database."
Then download "Oracle Database In-Memory for Exalytics 18.104.22.168.0 for Linux x86-64, 6 files" as shown below:
B. Specific product patches available on My Oracle Support (MOS):
NOTE: If any of the hyper-links listed below do not work, you may download the patches by clicking the "Patches and Updates" tab in MOS and copying the Patch ID (number only) into the Search window.
- Firmware Update (22.214.171.124+) - <Patch 18391569> Sun Server X2-4 SW 1.4.2 Firmware (MOS Patch)
- Oracle Exalytics Base Image 126.96.36.199.el5 - <Patch 20506584> PATCHSET UPGRADE UTILITY FOR EXALYTICS BASE IMAGE 188.8.131.52 FOR BARE METAL X86-64 may be used to upgrade existing OL5 servers. If you are installing, or reimaging to OL6, download the ISO file from Oracle Software Delivery Cloud as indicated under Step 2 above.
- Oracle OBIEE 184.108.40.206.1+ Patchset - <Patch 20124371> - OBIEE BUNDLE PATCH 220.127.116.11.150120 (MOS Patch)
This patch may only be applied if your existing/or upgraded OBIEE version is 18.104.22.168+. See <Note 1962651.1> - OBIEE 11g 22.214.171.124.150120 Bundle Patch is Available for Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition and Exalytics.
- Oracle TimesTen 126.96.36.199+ - See <Note 761451.1> HOWTO : Find And Download Specific Versions Of Oracle TimesTen In-Memory Database From My Oracle Support (MOS) for full TT software update. Once the server is at version 188.8.131.52, you may apply <Patch 21884645> TIMESTEN 184.108.40.206.8 RELEASE.
- Oracle Essbase 220.127.116.11.101+ - see <Note 1396084.1> Available Patch Sets and Patch Set Updates for Oracle Hyperion Essbase
- Oracle Essbase 18.104.22.168.500+ - <Patch 17767302> see <Note 1637267.1> Hyperion Essbase 22.214.171.124.500 Patch Set Update (Patch 17767299, 17767301, 17767302, 17767307) (MOS Patch)
- Oracle BI Applications 126.96.36.199.1 - download from Software Delivery Cloud
- Oracle In-Memory Database 12c (12.1.X) - download from Software Delivery Cloud (Licensed separately - contact your sales representative for details.)
Step 3 - Install/Apply Updates
Always apply firmware and image updates before proceeding to application installation, or application patch installation. Refer to the Exalytics Release 188.8.131.52.0 Installation and Administration Guide and the patch readme files.
If installing OVM on an X-5 server, read the following notes before you attempt to install the software:
Exalytics: Cannot See Flash Disk with "ddcli" Command after Installing OVM 3.3.3 on an X5-4 Server <Document 2163123.1>
Will the /opt/exalytics/bin/exalytics_flashovsrepos.sh -script Work on an Exalytics X5-4, OVM 3.3.3 Server <Document 2163124.1>
Exceptions to this recommendation are if you are planning to move from multiple versions. For example, if you are on PS4 and want to move to Release 184.108.40.206, you can elect to just install the firmware and image updates in sequential order without actually patching the applications (i.e. go from PS 4 -> do image update to PS5 -> then image update to Release 220.127.116.11). Once on the final image that you intend to deploy, you can upgrade the applications to the most current certified release.
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!
In this Document
|New Feature Highlights|
|Step 1 - Review Documentation|
|Exalytics Release 18.104.22.168 includes software updates and patches which are described below.|
|Step 2 - Download software updates and patches.|
|Your upgrade to Exalytics Release 22.214.171.124 will include software components available on Oracle Software Delivery Cloud and patches available on My Oracle Support (MOS).|
|A. Software updates available on Oracle Software Delivery Cloud:|
|B. Specific product patches available on My Oracle Support (MOS):|
|Step 3 - Install/Apply Updates|