Oracle Secure Global Desktop Version 5.3 is Now Available, Supersedes 5.2
(Doc ID 2226926.1)
Last updated on APRIL 04, 2018
Applies to:Oracle Secure Global Desktop - Version 5.2 to 5.3 [Release 5.0]
Information in this document applies to any platform.
We are pleased to announce the 5.3 release of Oracle's Secure Global Desktop (SGD) product. This update is a full-featured product release that may be installed directly on new systems, or be used as an upgrade on designated migration platforms, with caveats as outlined below.
Oracle Secure Global Desktop
Oracle Secure Global Desktop provides secure access to centralized, server-hosted Windows, UNIX, mainframe, and midrange applications from a wide variety of popular client devices, including Windows PCs, Mac OS X systems, Oracle Solaris workstations, Linux PCs, thin clients, and more. Additionally, Oracle Secure Global Desktop provides access to full-screen desktop environments, allowing administrators the freedom to use a single solution to provide access to both server-based applications and server-hosted desktop environments such as Microsoft Remote Desktop Services.
The 5.3 release is a feature update of SGD. This update includes new functionality, and several strategic performance and stability improvements to the 5.2 architecture. For detailed information regarding the significant feature enhancements of 5.3 over previous platforms, we recommend reviewing the New Features section of the Release Notes, included within the Product Documentation on Oracle Tech Network. (OTN).
Significant new features in the 5.3 release include:
- Automatic installation of the SGD Client using Java Web Start
- Oracle Linux 7 added as a fully featured Support Platform
- New Cloud Scripting Utilities, which include:
- Automation to assist deploying SGD nodes as a VM Template
- Automatic discovery of SGD Gateways
- New Application Server Objects for Oracle Hypervisor Hosts
- IPv6 Support for SGD Gateway Deployments
Changes in Release 5.3
After these new features, there have also been several significant functional changes in the operation and support of Secure Global Desktop that were delivered in the previous feature release, (SGD 5.2). These refinements include:
- New version of the SGD Client for Mac OS X Platforms
- Retirement of Windows Audio Sound Quality Attribute
- Updated X11 Server Implementation
- Changes to Configuration for VMS Applications
- Changes to Attribute Names for Application Objects
- Disabling Automatic Installation using Java Plug-in Software for Specific Browsers.
The Section 3.2 of the official SGD 5.3 Release Notes enumerate all of the significant defects (Bug Fixes) that have been identified and resolved within the new 5.3 release. These fixes supersede those delivered within 5.2, and the subsequent patch set updates (p1-p7) intended for that platform, as described in <Document 2012596.1>.
Updated Third Party Components
The following third party components are bundled with Secure Global Desktop, and have been updated in the 5.3 Release. For more details regarding Third Party components within the Web Services stack, please see the SGD Webserver section of the Installation Guide.
This release of SGD includes Java 8 update 101.
SGD Web Service Components.
The SGD web server consists of several components, the following table lists the component versions for this release of SGD.
|Apache HTTP Server||2.2.31|
The SGD 5.3 release will support upgrades from the following Secure Global Desktop versions only:
- Oracle Secure Global Desktop Software version 5.2
- Oracle Secure Global Desktop Software version 5.1
- Oracle Secure Global Desktop Software version 5.0
- Oracle Secure Global Desktop Software version 4.71
- Oracle Secure Global Desktop Software version 4.63
Download the SGD 5.30 Media Pack
This product release is available to all Oracle customers that have registered their user accounts.
To download Secure Global Desktop 5.3 media:
- Log in to Oracle Software Delivery Cloud (https://edelivery.oracle.com) and sign in with a valid Oracle user name to download Oracle products.
Note that users must accept the Terms and Restrictions before they can continue further to the "Media Pack Search" page.
- Search for "Secure Global Desktop" by entering the string in the Product field.
- Select the appropriate installation platform(s) for the SGD deployment within the Platform drop-down selection, and click the Continue button.
- Verify the radio button for the desired Media Pack, "Oracle Secure Global Desktop (5.3.0), ..." and click the Continue button.
- Review and accept the Oracle License Agreement, and click the Continue button.
- A new download page will load, where the user may then download the package.
|Linux x86, 64 bit||V840768-01||MD5||C0DECBA867A852C7A98B98A50523DF9F|
|Oracle Solaris on Sparc, 64 bit||V840767-01||MD5||277FC6BC62C500422DB586484B284E17|
|Oracle Solaris on x86, 64bit||V840769-01||MD5||CF8F4C678EF6E2CA1C7C58DEBF4FA92A|
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!
In this Document
|Oracle Secure Global Desktop|
|Changes in Release 5.3|
|Updated Third Party Components|
|Download the SGD 5.30 Media Pack|